Jugal Kishore Temple was built by Raja Hindu pat Singh, the fourth Bundela King of Panna, during his reign from 1758 to 1778.
According to the legends, the idol placed in the garbha griha of this Hindu temple has been brought from Brindavana through Orcha. The ornaments and attire of the lord reflect the Bundelkhandi style. The temple has all the architectural features of Bundela temples including a Natya (Dancing Hall) mandapa, Bhog mandapa and a Pradakshna path (Circumbulation Path).
Jugal Kisore Temple (Kesi ghata temple) is one of the oldest temples of Vrindavan, completed in 1627. After Akbar’s visit to Vrindavan in the year 1570, he gave permission for four temples to be built by the Gaudiya Vaisnavas, which were Madana-mohana, Govindaji, Gopinatha and Jugal Kisore. It is sometimes called the Kesi ghata temple, as it is located next to this ghat. Kesi Ghat is a place where Lord Krishna had killed Kesi, the horse demon.
During the rule of King Akbar in 1570 Gaudiya Vaishnava community from Vrindavan asked permission to establish some temples in Vrindavan. King Akbar permitted four temples in Vrindavan – Mandan Mohan Temple, Govind Dev Temple, Jugal Kishore Temple and Shri Gopinath Temple. But latter on King Aurangzeb attacked three out of these four temples and original deities were move to somewhere else. Only Jugal Kishore Temple remained in Vrindavan with its original temple and original deity.
The fourth one in the series of oldest temples is the temple of Jugal Kishore. This temple is located at the lower end of the town near Keshi Ghat and thus also called as Keshi Ghat temple. The temple was constructed in Sambat 1684, i.e. 1627 A.D., during the reign of Mughal Emperor Jahangir by the founder named as Non-Karan. Like the other 3 temples of the series the Jugal Kishore temple is also built up of Red sandstone with its choir quite larger (25 square feet) comparative to others and has the main entrance at the eastern end. Unlike other temples of Madan Mohan, Govind Dev and Gopinath, the Jugal Kishore is the only temple to have the original deity which is still worshipped in its original old temple in Vrindavan.
06:00 to 20:00 (All days of the week)
Goda Vihar, Vrindavan,
Uttar Pradesh 281121.